Tuesday, April 30, 2013

It was a Marathi Book Launch. For me.

It's obvious for a writer (by profession or even otherwise) to be overwhelmed at a copy-writing book launch. Right?
Although the event was completely in Marathi, I managed to understand every word spoken. Because my Marathi is Masha-allah.

Ok, not deviating from what I actually intend to say;
That evening I was introduced to a writer, who all this while was just a 'Founder' for me! (The Founder of my agency) He began his career in copy-writing at the ripe age of 50. (And we thought career was age-oriented) Nannsence.

I mean, COME ON.........being the creator of a brand, based only on your ability to play around with 26 given alphabets of English; that's some credential.
If you ask me, that's probably the best earned compliment for a writer, now aged 73!

FYI:

Mr. Sharad Deshpande surrendered to words. And contrastingly manipulated them too!
What made his journey real, was the attempt of his sons, (Rutuparna and Rugwed Deshpande) to make a book out of it. And P.S. The first copy-writing book ever, in MARATHI.



It's really beyond me to express and explain how vividly I understood Marathi that evening. (Which generally is a problem) It's nothing less than a fairytale experience which came to an end, as soon as my Samsung friend disturbed me!

Point being......all my life, I kept my 'word doc' gyaan limited to not more than 500 words; Consciously, going by Sir David Ogilvy's quotes of "Who reads long-copy? Say it minimum words. Keep your thoughts as short as possible."

Arrey! But why should I? (I asked myself, post that book launch) Sharad Kaka did not. He just wrote. Because he loved to. Simple? And guess what (You, yes you!) His audience loved it. Still love it.

Then again, I snapped back (Am I being influenced by yet another writer)
And for the first time, the answer was No.

Now, 2 days post the event, here I am, Smiling at 'ME' 4 years ago. A new-born writer, who decided to keep it short, because some creative book somewhere said so.

Good Afternoon. Foolish Me.


2 comments:

  1. Probably Short Copies still have an impact but long copies matter if its needed. N in Sir Ogilvy Word Who has the time to read long stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...I never meant to say that short copies don't have an impact anymore.
    In fact what I did mean to put forward was that my myth about long copy is now proven untrue. And, I don't have a bias against long copy anymore!

    ReplyDelete